Scholastic Canada Biography: Meet Tom Longboat
ISBN 9781443163910 POB
32 Pages | 9.23" x 9.3" | Ages 6 to 10
See an excerpt
Meet Tom Longboat, the long-distance runner who broke world records and defied stereotypes.
In April 1907, Tom Longboat beat a crowd of top runners to win the Boston Marathon, one of many thrilling performances that earned him fans worldwide. Still, he often faced scrutiny and criticism for his usual training techniques and his Indigenous heritage. Win or lose, Tom achieved success on his own terms. He believed in himself and was dedicated to his family, his community and humanity, serving bravely in WWI.
- Commended, TD Summer Reading Club - Top 10 Recommended Read, 2020
- Short-listed, OLA Silver Birch Express Award, 2019
- Commended, OLA Best Bets, 2019
- French (N. Amer.) - Éditions Scholastic
- This lively and colourful new biography series is unlike anything available!
- A great introduction to larger issues.
- Tom Longboat’s story invites reflection on our treatment of Indigenous peoples.