How to Be Brave
ISBN 9781443158008 Paperback
96 Pages | Ages 7 to 9
See an excerpt
On his eighth birthday, Daniel wishes to be brave like Fiona. Fiona and Daniel are twins but they aren't alike. Fiona is fearless. She loves to watch spooky movies, doesn't need a nightlight and cannonballs right into the deep end of the pool. Daniel needs a little more time to feel comfortable trying new things. As his ninth birthday approaches, Daniel doubts last year's wish will come true. He still prefers safe to scary. Dad tells him that sometimes courage takes time to grow. Daniel doesn't have time to wait, since he'll be starting at a new school soon. On top of meeting a new teacher and all the new kids, Daniel learns that he'll have to give a presentation in front of the class — his worst nightmare come true! But as he gets to know his new friend Andrew and faces down some fears, Daniel realizes he's braver than he thinks.
- Commended, Best Books for Kids and Teens, Canadian Children's Book Centre, 2018
- French (N.Amer.) - Éditions Scholastic
- Explores the issues of self-esteem and social anxiety
- Appeals to boys and girls with relatable situations for the age group.
- Character education is a popular category.
- A new addition to a successful collection!