My Deal with the Universe
by Deborah Kerbel
ISBN 9781443157568 Paperback
ISBN 9781443157575 Ebook
240 Pages | 5.02" x 7.76" | Ages 8 to 12
See an excerpt
The year I stopped growing was the year Jack started to get better. Grappa's the only person in the world who's ever heard this story. Problem is, he didn't believe me.
"That's just a coincidence, Crazy Daisy," he said. "You being short has nothing to do with Jack. The universe doesn't make deals with little kids."
But it happened. It did, I feel it in my bones. I saved Jack's life three years ago.
Daisy Fisher just wants to be normal, but growing up in a house known as the “Jungle” makes that impossible. It doesn’t help when the neighbours declare your family public enemy number one. Or when your best friend leaves for camp and forgets you exist. Or when your twin brother may be getting sick again....
Just when it feels like Daisy's deal with the universe is unravelling, she finds out that love and strength can come from surprising places... and that maybe "normal" isn't all it's cracked up to be.
- Short-listed, Red Cedar Award (BC Young Readers' Choice), 2020
- Short-listed, Rocky Mountain Book Award (Alberta Children's Choice), 2020
- Short-listed, Diamond Willow Award (Saskatchewan Young Readers' Choice), 2020
- Commended, Resource Links, Best of the Year, 2018
- All rights available
- Distinct, endearing characters that are charming and true.
- A skilled author who gets better with every title
- Characters standing up for differences/individuality set examples for diversity and tolerance.