Keep Up, Katmai
by Pili Palm-Leis, Photographer Barrett Hedges
ISBN 9781443163767 Hardcover
32 Pages | Ages 3 to 8
See an excerpt
Katmai — the smallest bear in a family of four cubs — is having a very big day!
Follow along with Katmai as she learns to fish for salmon with her brothers and sister. This charming book is a beautiful introduction to magnificent wild bears, and a wonderful story celebrating the bond between a parent and their children.
This remarkable close-up view into an inquisitive grizzly cub’s day is illustrated with rare, stunning photographs shot by renowned wildlife photographer Barrett Hedges.
A fascinating interview with the author and photographer goes behind the lens to find out how this once-in-a-lifetime photo shoot came together, thanks to Barrett’s keen eye, deep knowledge and respect for the wildlife he photographs.
- Commended, OLA Best Bets: Honourable Mention, 2019
- French (N. Amer) - Éditions Scholastic
- Exceptionally high-quality photography.
- Up-close insight into animals in their natural, and often threatened, environments.
- An engaging story that relates to children’s own experiences of the world and fosters empathy for other species — a primary strategy for conservation.
- Bonus non-fiction material gives an insider's view of this incredibly rare photo shoot.