Five Busy Beavers
by Stella Partheniou Grasso, illustrated by Christine Battuz
ISBN 9781443133869 Paperback
32 Pages | 9.04" x 9.03" | Ages 3 to 8
See an excerpt
Join five little beavers and their playful friends in this countdown to fun!
Five busy beavers building up a dam,
closing up the river where the salmon swam.
Gnawing down trees and ferrying the logs.
Slapping on the mud that they gathered from the bog.
Along came a muskrat who wanted to play,
and one little beaver swam away.
A catchy rhyme counts down from five until there is only one hardworking beaver left. The others disappeared one by one, called away to play by their animal friends —a muskrat, a heron, a frog and a turtle. When the fifth tired beaver finally heads back to the lodge he finds a big surprise!
The bouncy story is rounded out with a facts page at the back, along with information about each animal featured in the book.
Praise for Over at the Rink:
“Kids don’t have to be hockey fans to enjoy the bouncing rhythm of this counting book (though it will be a bonus if they are). [A] fun primer on numbers, hockey and playing fair.” —Quill & Quire
“The rhythm of the text is natural and bouncy, the lines easy to read and the words demanding to be read aloud.” —Resource Links
- Commended, Best Books for Kids and Teens, Canadian Children's Book Centre, 2016
- Commended, Resource Links, Best of the Year, 2016
- English (US) - Sky Pony Press
- French (N.Amer.) - Éditions Scholastic
- A cute spin on a familiar refrain
- Lots of cute animals for kids to learn about
- Multiple counting opportunities in the art