You Can't Do That in Canada
Think Canadians are the logical, rational bunch? The kind who don't overreact? Well, open this book and find out just how weird and wacky some of our laws have been - and remember, it's kooky enough that the laws were created, but stranger still to think that certain behaviour actually led to their creation!
Scholastic Canada Ltd | ISBN 9781443102520 Paperback
128 Pages | 5.25" x 7.75" | Ages 8 to 11
Here are just a few:
- An old BC law supposedly made it illegal to kill a sasquatch.
- You can be imprisoned for challenging someone to a duel, or even accepting the challenge.
- You can get two years in prison for pretending to practise witchcraft (there was a case as recently as 1984!).
- There is a two-year penalty for offending a public place with a bad smell.
- In Fredericton, NB, it is against the law to wear a snake.
Canada has its share of "Rip Van Winkle" statutes that are still on the books. You Can't Do That in Canada! highlights the wackiest, with thirty-five accompanying cartoons. A section at the end includes a quiz about really strange laws, and kids guess which three are the fakes. The rest, bizarre as they seem, are - or were - really on the books.